Sign of the Times: Kilbride’s Scheduled Monument Status Signs Go Up

By Liam Griffin Friends of Kilbride are delighted to announce that Historic Environment Scotland(HES) have amended the entry in the schedule of monuments which refers to Historic Kilbride. Officially titled “ Kilbride Chapel, Church and Churchyard,” the site is now on the record as being of significant historical importance. The scheduling brings with it the […]

Read More »

The Kilbride story comes to life with new interpretive signs

By Michelle McAnally Preserver-in-Chief Liam Griffin has been busy this summer producing interpretive signage for the Kilbride graveyard. Liam has performed many hours of in-depth research over the years, and with his creative flair (and handy work skills) has made the stories of the people buried here come alive. From the legendary Sacred Aisle of […]

Read More »

The Archaeology of Lerags Cross

“This cross, 3.13 metres high and 0.69 metres across the arms, was re-erected on its present site in 1926, having lain in pieces in Kilbride churchyard for over 200 years. According to local tradition, it originally stood beside an old road running SE from the coast at Gallanach (NM 82 27) to the Lowlands, which […]

Read More »