top of page
  • ilovepurple1972

The Archaeology of Lerags Cross

“This cross, 3.13 metres high and 0.69 metres across the arms, was re-erected on its present site in 1926, having lain in pieces in Kilbride churchyard for over 200 years. According to local tradition, it originally stood beside an old road running SE from the coast at Gallanach (NM 82 27) to the Lowlands, which crosses the modern road about 200 metres north of the entrance to the churchyard. The cross, which has been carved from a single block of greenish schist is profusely profusely inscribed and was originally erected by Archibald Campbell of Lerags in 1516.”

Read more about Lerags Cross at the Canmore website compiled and managed by Historic Environment Scotland.

7 views0 comments


bottom of page